Mindful eating is the practice of being aware and conscious of the food we eat. It includes being mindful of the flavors, sensations, and emotions associated with food and eating. This practice can help us to make healthier and more informed food choices, as well as to recognize and combat emotional eating.
Some potential benefits of mindful eating include:
- Improving your ability to recognize and respond to your body's hunger and fullness signals, which can help you make more intuitive and satisfying food choices.
- Enhancing your enjoyment of food by focusing on the taste, texture, and appearance of what you're eating, which can help you feel more satisfied and less likely to over-eat.
- Improving your overall physical health by helping you make healthier food choices and eat a more balanced diet.
- Strengthening your mind-body connection, which can help you feel more in tune with your body and better able to manage stress and other emotions.
Here are some tips to help you practice mindful eating:
1. Start by having a mindful attitude. Before you begin to eat, take a few moments to become aware of your physical and emotional state, and begin to settle into the experience of the meal.
2. Slow down. Instead of wolfing down your food and not really paying attention to what you’re eating, try eating more slowly. Savor the flavors and textures of your food and recognize the effort that went into its preparation.
3. Notice the smells, colors, and flavors. Tune into the full experience of the food. Notice the way the food looks and smells and take time to recognize the elements that make up its flavor.
4. Eat only when you are hungry. Make sure to plan ahead and only eat when you are truly hungry. Make sure to eat a balanced and nutritious meal.
5. Tune out distractions. Turn off the television, put away your phone, and create a calm space for eating.
Natashia- Certified Transformation and Nutrition Coach BN, worked as an RN in internal medicine for several years before becoming a full time stay home mom of four. In 2019, she lost her young husband to cancer. Now, penetrating the beauty industry, Natashia and her brand Mia Adora™ are on a mission to help make women’s beauty and wellness game easier. Read more