Struggling with a serious sweet tooth?
I understand. I have a big addiction to sweets, that I was able to tame without torturing myself like a crack addict going through withdrawal.
Let me put on my nursing hat for a moment and remind you that too much sugar is a main culprit for weight gain, diabetes, and weakened immune system.
I don't want to scare you, but rather empower you with the following tips that seriously help you become the boss of your own cravings. You're a slave to no one... including processed sugars.
According to Samer Blackmon, M.D, excessive consumption of processed sugars has been proven to compromise your immune response, making infections more likely:
-Foods and drinks high in sugar
OK, here are some tips that actually work. No fluff. I still eat a nice dessert once a week but for the remaining days here's what I found works best for me and many others:
1. Replace the habit with an alternative that's lower in sugar and high in protein (or healthy fat) so you feel satisfied
-Instead of chocolate try "Chocolate Chip Good Fats bars" (Keto friendly) or a small piece of dark chocolate.
-Instead of juice or soda pop try sparkling water with a splash of lemon.
2. Balance the stress hormones that are causing the sugar cravings and emotional eating with adaptogens. High cortisol levels and low dopamine levels often cause sugar cravings which is why many people "emotionally eat."
3. Drink green tea. Green tea not only is great for the metabolism and digestion, it also helps gently curve appetite and unwanted sugar cravings.
4. More protein. Protein helps you feel full and helps balance out blood sugar levels which prevents the fluctuations that can lead to sugar cravings.
5. Sleep. Lack of sleep has been shown to trigger sugar cravings so there's some more motivation for you to get a good night sleep.
Natashia, BN, worked as an RN in internal medicine for several years before becoming a full time stay home mom of four. In 2019, she lost her young husband to cancer. Now, penetrating the beauty industry, Natashia and her brand Mia Adora™ are on a mission to help make women’s beauty and wellness game easier. Read more